A series of events will celebrate the opening of the new community facility on Thursday 28 June 2012
By News Reporters
The Fitzrovia Community Centre will be officially opened by the new leader of Camden Council Sarah Hayward on Thursday 28 June 2012.
Throughout the day there will be a series of events open to everyone as part of the opening celebrations.
The new building has actually been open for several months and two part-time workers have been appointed to manage the day-to-day running of the centre.
The building will managed by The Fitzrovia Community Centre Limited which is a registered charity governed by a board of trustees.
Camden Council has funded the centre for 2012 to 2015 out of its community centre’s fund which is part of its voluntary and community sector investment and support programme. The community centre will also fund itself from income from room-letting.
The Fitzrovia Community Centre is located on the ground floor and basement of John Astor House on Foley Street in the City of Westminster, just across the Camden borough boundary.
The Centre was created from a section 106 funding by University College London Hospital (UCLH) allocated to the London Borough of Camden to provide a new community centre. It comprises an area of approximately 670 square metres with full disabled access including an outdoor courtyard. The building has undergone a major refurbishment and designed to be a modern and welcoming multi-purpose building, with a range of rooms available for large and small groups and individuals.
It will have some long-term tenants and facilities for short-term use by organizations, community groups, and local people.
To kick start activities at the centre a number of events and activities have been laid on. There will be taster sessions with: Epoch Fitness with Pilates, over 50s exercise class, Ashtanga and Hatha yoga by Zoe James, West End Children’s Centre play and stay sessions for carers and toddlers and computer training sessions (covering web design, excel, word, and powerpoint).
- 11:00am – 3:00pm Information and advice stalls planning, housing and education environment, health, community safety and advocacy services. Arts and crafts stall and bric -a -brac for sale,
- 11:00 am – 3:00pm vintage pop-up cafe teas, sandwiches and cake will be available
- 12 :00pm – 3:00pm A series of 20 minute talks (safety in the home for the elderly, personal finance and dealing with debts, services for the homebound, civic society, volunteering.)
- 1:00pm – 3:00pm Children Entertainment Fire engine, facepainting and Fitzroy Square street entertainers will be making an appearance flautist Sara Minelli.
- 3:00pm Tree planting Ceremony in the presence of the Lord Mayor of Westminster Councillor Angela Harvey at the junction of Berners Street and Mortimer Street
- 4:00pm Official opening of the centre by Cllr Sarah Hayward, Leader of Camden Council , with refreshments until 5:00pm.
- 7.30pm Opera in Fitzroy Square.
During June the centre will be a London Festival of Photography venue hosting two free exhibitions. Inside Out: London Festival of Photography Prize exhibition; and Behind Closed Doors. Opening times are Mon, Wed, Thurs: 10am-7pm, Tue and Fri: 10am-6pm. lfph.org
All events are subject to confirmation. Further information: telephone 020 7580 8680, or visit Fitzrovia Community Centre, John Astor House, Foley Street, London W1W 6DN fitzroviacommunitycentre.org