By News Reporters
All that is left of one of the oldest buildings on Goodge Street is a couple of courses of brickwork held up by scaffolding and steel girders.
1-3 Goodge Street was built in 1780 as part of a development undertaken by Francis and William Goodge with the builder and architect Jacob Leroux. The inside of the building, which the architectural historian Dan Cruickshank described as “an important historic asset”, has been completely demolished.
Developers Dukelease won consent at appeal for its residential and retail development at the corner of Tottenham Court Road and Goodge Street designed by Rolfe Judd. The consent obtained earlier this year allowed for the demolition of the interior of the building leaving the facade.
Camden Council had refused planning permission in December 2011 after objections were made by the Charlotte Street Association, Bloomsbury Conservation Area Advisory Committee and The Georgian Group.
Dukelease acquired the site from Derwent London in 2009 following a loss at appeal for a scheme designed by Allies and Morrison.