By News Reporters
Exemplar have suggested a new name for the street that will run through the heart of their mixed-use scheme on the development site currently known as Fitzroy Place.
The name “Pearson Square” has been chosen, named after John Loughborough Pearson the architect of the Grade II* listed hospital chapel at the centre of the site and the only part of the former Middlesex Hospital to escape total demolition.
The name “Pearson Square” has been formally suggested to Westminster Council who will have to decide on its suitability. The previous name of Fitzroy Place was withdrawn by Exemplar after objections were lodged by the postal authorities and the emergency services.
If approved by Westminster Council, the distinctive City of Westminster signs with Pearson Square W1 will be fixed to the three pedestrian entrances into the central courtyard of the completed site.
John Loughborough Pearson was a resident of Marylebone and there is a London County Council blue plaque on his former home in Mansfield Street. He was recognised by RIBA in 1880 with a gold award and was known for his work on Truro Cathedral, Bristol Cathedral and Westminster Hall. John died before the chapel was built and the responsibility was passed to his architect son Frank Loughborough Pearson to oversee its completion.
Exemplar told Fitzrovia News: “We would be proud to name our new square Pearson Square. We will be recognising a great local, and reverent man in a development which finally gives his previously hidden work a public setting.”
As part of the planning conditions there will also be a plaque placed inside the chapel commemorating the Middlesex Hospital which stood on the site from 1757 until its closure in 2005 and demolition in 2008.
The eight new buildings of retail, offices and housing, surrounding the first new public square in central London for over 100 years, are due to be completed by December 2014.